Can markers cause skin cancer?

Writing on our skin is something that many of us do every day – we use it to take notes and reminders to make sure that we arrange meetings or call our owners, and we use it to create attractive doodles when we are absent . It seems quite harmless, but deep down many people wonder: does it harm our health? Can markers cause skin cancer?

Why do people write on ink skins?

Young people often write on the skin with an ink pen, usually for the following reasons,

  • Because they are bored
  • Because they were distracted from the task
  • Because they feel artistic
  • Because they find it funny
  • Because they use it as a fake tattoo
  • Because they use it to take notes, e.g. for school searches

Markers bearing the “non-toxic” ACMI seal have been tested and found safe for art, but not body art. To wear the ACMI seal, the product must undergo toxicological tests regarding the inhalation and ingestion of the material. Does not include absorption into the bloodstream. Absorption into the bloodstream occurs when the chemicals in the marker penetrate the skin or enter the body through damaged skin. For the most part, solvents in ink are a health problem more than pigments. Since the pigment only penetrates the upper layer of the skin, there is no greater risk after drawing and drying the ink. Despite this, I do not recommend using markers on the skin.

Can markers cause skin cancer?

Symptoms of ink poisoning

Ink from pens, markers, highlighters, etc. It is considered to be minimally toxic and in such a small amount that it usually poses no threat. Symptoms are usually stained skin or tongue and, although unlikely, mild stomach upset.

Because of the amount of ink in the printer cartridges and stamp pads, you should consult your doctor if ink from one of these sources has been used up.

Does writing with ink pen skin cause skin cancer?

Although many fake messages may have been spread about cancer ink pens, this is not true. There are two different popular types of ink pens: permanent and water. Water can be considered safe because it is easy to wash.

However, although it probably won’t cause cancer, a permanent pen is dangerous because,

  • Contains xylene (a toxic substance which is usually inhaled).
  • Some may be made with alcohol (which is better than xylene) which may cause irritation of the nose, throat, mouth and sensitive skin.
  • May cause skin damage.
  • It’s difficult to wash away

Ink from pens and markers is considered to be minimally toxic and it is difficult to expose it to large amounts. Thus, the likelihood of getting poisoned by eating ink from the pen or getting it on the skin or into the eye is small. The likelihood of getting poisoned by tattoo ink has more to do with the safety and cleanliness practices of the tattoo artist and store than with the ink itself.



Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here